Edible Cake Art Application Instructions and Tips
Edible cake art images can be an easy way to make your cakes spectacular! Just follow the directions carefully for easy application and the best results.
- Make sure your hands are clean and dry before handling the image. If cake is frozen, thaw slightly before applying the icing. Edible Image® decorations need moisture to blend into a product.
- If your product is dry, spray a SLIGHT mist of water, brush on simple syrup, or add a small amount of icing to your product (NOT the image) before applying image so it will adhere to your product. o If your product is moist, DO NOT add any extra moisture. Using too much water may cause colors to run.
- Edible Image® decorations cannot be moved once applied. Plan where you will place the image, then apply the image face up onto your product. After application, gently tap the image down with fingertips starting from the center of the image and smoothing to the edges.
- If the image becomes moist or difficult to remove from the backing sheet, it can be placed in the freezer for a couple of minutes, after which the image will usually peel easily.
- If the image bubbles after application, GENTLY TAP (do not rub) the image. After Application· If the decorated cake is frozen, thaw slowly, preferably in a refrigerator. · Avoid extensive exposure to ultraviolet lighting. As with any food coloring, the image may fade over time.
- If the image bubbles during freezing, GENTLY TAP (do not rub) the image.
Storage and Handling
- Store Edible Image® decorations in the original silver bag in a cool, dry location.
- PROMPTLY RE-SEAL the original zip-lock bag after you remove an edible cake art image.
- Use Edible Image® decoration immediately after removing it from the bag.
- Store your finished product decorated with Edible Image® decoration(s) as normally required for safe food handling. Edible Image® decorations will not affect the shelf life of your product and are freezer, refrigerator and shelf stable.
Application Tips by Product
- If you are applying the Edible Image® decoration to an ice cream cake iced with non-dairy whipped topping, DO NOT add any additional water. · If you are applying the Edible Image® decoration directly to ice cream, it is best to allow the ice cream to "sweat" a bit before applying the image, or mist the ice cream with milk before applying the image.
- If you are working with soft-serve ice cream you will achieve better results by applying the Edible Image® decoration while the ice cream is soft, then freezing it hard.
- Apply the Edible Image® decoration right after icing the cake. Buttercream icings will form a thin crust about an hour after they have been applied. If buttercream has formed a crust, spray with a fine mist of water before applying the image.
- Thaw slightly before icing to avoid cracking, then apply the image. If decorated cake is frozen, thaw slowly, preferably in a refrigerator, uncovered, to avoid running of colors and sweating.
- Add a generous mist of water over royal icing before applying an Edible Image® decoration.
Non-Dairy Whipped Topping
- DO NOT ADD extra moisture before applying the Edible Image® decoration. Keep finished cakes refrigerated to extend shelf life.
Rolled Fondant / Sugar Paste
- Apply fondant or sugar paste as directed. Plan where you will lay the Edible Image® decoration. Then, with a small paintbrush, apply a generous brushing of plain water, but only where your image will lay and then apply your image to this area. Water outside the image area will leave a mark on your fondant. If you do not use enough water, your image will not adhere.
- Corners and edges can be tapped down with a slightly moist, very small paintbrush.
Poured White Chocolate / Ganache / Baker's Coatings / Poured Fondants
- To apply Edible Image® decorations to any poured icings products, simply pour your icing over your product. Then apply the image while the icing is still wet. Be sure to let your product set up on a flat surface so the image will not slide.
Standard Application Instructions
- Remove the Edible Image® design from the sealed package JUST BEFORE application.
- RESEAL the package immediately, if image(s) remain in the package.
- Remove the design from its backing sheet by gently placing it on a table edge (with the image facing up) and roll the backing sheet over the edge of the table. This will loosen the image. CAREFULLY PEEL the image away from its backing sheet.
How do I store my product once I have applied an Edible Image® decoration to it?
Store your finished product as normally required for food safe handling. Edible Image® decorations will not effect the shelf life of your product and are freezer, refrigerator and shelf stable.
Are there any allergens in Edible Image® decorations and Print-Ons® Sheets?
No, there are not any allergens in Edible Cake Art Images®. The following ingredients are NOT used in this manufacturing facility and will NOT come into contact with the products being produced - wheat, soy, milk, eggs, fish, shell-fish (crustaceans) peanuts, and/or tree nuts.
Are your products Kosher Certified?
Edible Cake Art Images, Sugar Shapes, Candy Confetti Sprinkles are Orthodox Union Kosher Certified.
How should I store Edible Image® decorations?
Store Edible Image® decorations in the original bag in a cool, dry place. Always make sure that re-closable bags are completely sealed.
My Edible Image® decoration is brittle and cracking; what can I do?
Your image(s) may have been stored in conditions that are too dry, or the reclosable bag was not completely closed. Be certain to always re-close the original bag to make it air-tight.Exposure to low humidity may cause Edible Image® decorations to become too dry and brittle, thus cracking or breaking upon peeling from the backing sheet. If you experience difficulties due to low humidity, try the following: · If possible, move the image you are ready to use to a more humid environment. Keep the remaining images sealed in the original silver bag. A portable humidifier can solve the problem of low humidity in a room. · Open the bag of Edible Image® near a faucet of hot running water, allowing steam to enter the bag without getting any water into the bag, re-close the bag. · Place the Edible Image® decoration you are ready to use in an airtight plastic container with a warm damp cloth. Make sure the damp cloth does not touch the image. Keep the remaining images sealed in the original silver bag.
My Edible Image® decoration is moist and difficult to remove from the backing sheet; what can I do?
Place the backing sheet on a table edge (with the image facing up) and roll the backing sheet over the sharp edge of the table. This technique will help to pop the image off the backing sheet. If this doesn't work, the humidity is too high. Exposure to high humidity may cause Edible Image® decorations to absorb moisture and stick to the baking sheet making them difficult to peel.
If you experience difficulties due to high humidity, try the following:
If possible, move the image you are ready to use to a drier environment. Keep the remaining images sealed in the original silver bag. An air-conditioned room will usually be dry enough to condition the image so that it can be peeled.
Place the Edible Image® decoration in a freezer for a few minutes after which the image will usually peel easily from the backing sheet.
What type of modified food starch is used in Edible Image® decorations, Hard Sugar Decorations, Candy Confetti Sprinkles and Frosting Colors?
The modified food starch used for these products is either tapioca, waxy maize (corn), or rice starch.
Can Edible Image® decorations be frozen?
Yes, Edible Image® decorations work on ice cream and other frozen products, and can be frozen after application. It is important to take precautions with freeze/thaw cycles to avoid build-up of ice crystals. Thaw finished frozen decorated products slowly, preferably in a refrigerator, uncovered, to avoid running of colors and sweating.
The colors in the Edible Image® decoration faded, how can I prevent this?
All FD&C approved food colors are sensitive to light, especially pinks, purples, and some reds. It is best to avoid direct exposure to sunlight and strong fluorescent lights.
The Edible Image® decoration "bubbles" after application, what can I do?
Gently TAP (do not rub) the image. When first applying the image to the product smooth from the center of the image first and then smooth outward toward the edges.
Can I write inscriptions on top of the Edible Image® decoration?
Yes. Just be sure not to push the decorating tip through the image.
How should I store Edible Image® decorations?
Store Edible Image® decorations in the original bag in a cool, dry place. Always make sure that reclosable bags are completely sealed.
Rabbi Menachem Genack
Union Orthodox Jewish Congregations of America