Cake Selling Tips!
By Andreaetta and Vondre' Whaley
Make a list and network with as many wedding planners as possible. The planners
are he gateway to the bride when getting wedding cake jobs.
2. Make a list and network with as many photographers as possible. It's a great idea to set up some type of package deal with the photographer and he'll sell your cakes like crazy. You may have to give a discount but you'll get the jobs, especially when couples are trying to save money on weddings.
3. Talk your business. NO ONE will know that you bake cakes unless you tell people that you are in the business. It's best to have a business card to hand out to everyone you meet. I don't want to brag, but my wife and I have the coolest business card in the cake world.
4. Use clear boxes when delivering your cakes and don't forget to stick your label on the box. You don't know how long your cake will be sitting and you want people to be able to see your cake and your label. We've received many calls from people who saw our cake at some party or someone's house and took the number off the label.
5. Make a list of all organizations in your area and offer to bake a cake for free at their next meeting. The secret to getting order with this technique is explain in our course because 99.99% of people who try this, do it wrong.
6. Get local restaurants to sell you cake. Although you must sell your cakes at wholesale prices, you'll get volume orders and the credibility will get you even more personal orders.
7. Sponsor a cake tasting event. This GREAT idea is explained in the cake course and it gives you a great way to generate extra income and a new way to get the word out about your business.
8. Invest in your cake marketing education. Most people who want to bake cakes for a profit never spent a penny on learning how to sell cakes but spend hundreds on cake decorating courses.
9. Call your health department to find out the rules for a cake baking business. In most states, it's pretty easy to set up as long as you deliver your cakes to the client. In places where it's more difficult, it's best to establish an agreement with a local restaurant or a daycare facility that has a kitchen.
10. Always reinvest some of your profits into marketing. You can never, ever scream to the world enough that you bake the best cakes in the world.
I hope this inspires someone who is thinking about selling cakes for profit. Why not get paid for something you love to do?
Andreaetta and Vondre' Whaley are known as "The Cake Couple." They specialize in helping cake bakers get more customers. You can visit their website at http://www.sellcakeslikecrazy.com